05 August 2009

Moment of Panic: Take 2

1852 miles to Tokyo
3700 ft
nearing the Sea of Okhotsk

We just crossed the int'l date line, and I just had my second encounter with the WTF-are-you-doing-with-your-life truck. Perhaps my spirit guide will show up and send me back to high school like in "17 Again" (disturbingly enjoyable in-flight film starring Zac Efron, of High School Musical fame). Maybe not.

The problem now is that I had this convenient theory during my college years that school just wasn't my thing, that I would be much more effective at real life. Then, sitting in 39A, a terrifying question presented itself: what if I'm not? That is to say, what if I'm flying past the Gulf of Shelekhova with all of this bright, shiny certainty only to find out that I'm not terribly effective at real life either, and that the only thing that I am really good at is getting into ridiculous situations in foreign countries? Not that that would be the most terrible skill, just not as marketable...

Actually, who am I kidding? This is the 21st century, and I am writing this just by touching my finger to the flat surface of a shiny object that not only corrects my spelling but can check the weather in 3 countries simultaneously all because some guy named Steve Jobs hates buttons. Worst case scenario: declare bankrupty and write a soon-to-be-famous blog about being bankrupt in Japan. Maybe if I write it all on my iPod Touch then Steve Jobs will become my corporate backer...

Alright, second moment of panic passed... Hey! I think I can see Sarah Palin's backyard from here.

4 comments:

Maggie's Mom said...

You were good at being a college student (How else would you have completed 3 majors.) and I believe you will be even better at real life. They are going to LOVE you in Japan.

Amy said...

hahaha, oh Sarah Palin :P

Unknown said...

I am glad you have a blog again. I have had several WTF-am-I-doing-with-my-life moments since I landed in India.

Dad said...

Hey Mag! They will love you. I hope signing your autograph and posing for photos doesn't get too annoying!

Love,
Dad