04 August 2009

Moment of Panic: Take 1

I think it best to start from the beginning, which is probably the moment that I looked out the plane window, saw the Midwest (actually, I think we were probably somewhere over Alberta) slipping away beneath me, and panicked...

3:41 pm, 25 July 2009

I just had my first moment of panic. I know, only 3 hours in to a 13 hour flight. I haven't even seen an ocean yet. Lame. But it came out of nowhere. I glanced out the window at shades of green and yellow forming geometric patterns that an alien race is probably overanalyzing from space. It was spacious, peaceful, familiar...

Then I glanced at the in-flight info screen. #*%$! It was covered in what I can only assume to be Japanese. That's when it happened. A semi truck with a big WTF on the grill slammed into my face.

What am I doing?! I am leaving this all behind. I am going to have a real job with real coworkers that I really can't speak to, and I am going to be responsible for doing things, real things. Like planning lessons and running clubs and who knows what else! I certainly won't know because I can't speak Japanese and apparently no one will tell you what their expectations are because you are a big dumb scary foreigner. (!!!) Thanks Chicago orientation for making me feel so much better.

Maybe for some people is it the, "Oh my God, I'm living in a foreign country alone!" thing. It's not really the alone thing for me. Actually, it is not at all the alone thing. It's mostly the Japan thing. I'm going to make a couple of sweeping generalizations here and say that in Poland, people are reticent and cynical in a way that is somehow extraordinarily comforting. In Argentina, at least in Buenos Aires, everything is a disaster, a quilombo. But then, you have expected that and worn your shiny fuschia heels just out of spite. In Japan... Well, the Japanese... I have no idea! I don't even know any Japanese people! Okay, I have probably met at least 5 Japanese people; let's go crazy, and say that in my entire life I have met 10 Japanese people. So? I've got nothing. I have no idea what I am getting myself into, which would be okay if I was just moving to Japan for kicks and giggles, but actually having responsibilities? :S

30 seconds later... I've escaped the WTF truck with only a faint imprint left on my forehead. It's going to be okay.

1 comment:

pacesetter said...

I love how you can dodge those semis and be OK in 30 seconds. That's my girl...woman! I have NO DOUBT you will handle this new role with care and style and class, and the fact that you are coming in blind will end up being one of the major reasons you will feel so accomplished and respected when you say Syanara (sp?). Hey...that's one Japanese word for you. You are on your way, lady! Enjoy the ride! Dad