01 December 2010

Biscuits, babies, and a potluck

A couple of weeks ago I went to my friend Reiko's house for an annual potluck dinner.  I went last year and had a great time despite not speaking any Japanese whatsoever, so I was excited that I might be able to do something more than smile a lot and gesture wildly this year.  I also had not seen Reiko since she had baby Lisa in August.  I had not realized that there had been a memo after last year's dinner.  This year was BYOB.  Yep, Bring Your Own Baby.  There were THREE.  I guess it's that decade in my life isn't it.  I'm not sure I am ready for that, cute as it may be.

Anyway, I met Reiko when she worked as the art teacher at my school.  She studied lacquerwear in university, and her husband, Michael, is half American, half Japanese.  He is a potter.  Karen and I went in for a lesson with him once, and despite his infinite patience, our mug/bowl/flowerpots look an awful lot like a mother's day present from a seven year old.  Oh well, they still let me hang around their house with all of their artist friends, so I don't mind.  That said, last year at dinner when we were doing the introduction game it went a little like this:

"I'm Machiko.  I make metal jewelery."

"I'm Mauricio, from Mexico.  And I've been doing pottery for 16 years."

"I'm Miki, and I am studying pottery."
"I'm Yoko, and I'm a painter."

"I'm Bastien, and I'm broody and French and studying lacquerwear in Japanese." (okay, okay, this may not be verbatim)

"Ummm, I'm Maggie, and... I teach English....."

Yeah, it's really hard to have a more cliche job than teaching English, but at least I teach at a public school with a bad reputation??  Still, how can that possibly compare to lacqerwear and Mexican potters?  It just can't.  Also, of the four foreigners there, two were fluent in Japanese.  And the third was Bastien.  And he is French.  I just could not win.  But everyone was wonderful, the food was delicious, and hanging around a Japanese house with a lot of Japanese people eating and drinking an evening away made me feel like maybe I wasn't a big scary foreigner.

So this year I went back armed with a little more Japanese.  And pepperjack cheese biscuits.  Because what more classic and delicious and easy American recipe can you imagine?  And who can resist butter and cheese laden  carbohydrates?  You'd think that in Japan, of all places, people would be able to turn away.  Not. A. Chance.  I saw women as big as my pinkie tuck away two BIG biscuits.  It was incredibly satisfying.

 Photo note: I had seen the white guy on the far right at the driving center and wondered who he was. Well, now have I met him, his lovely wife, and their adorable baby.  There is a very good reason some Japanese people think that all foreigners in Japan know each other.... one way or another, we kind of do.

Mao, the Mexican potter, and his Japanese-Mexican wife, and their adorable daughter all came this year, so I had a great chance to realize just how much Spanish I have lost.  I could understand everything we were talking about, but stringing together a sentences was like pulling teeth, and half the time they came out in Japanese, which is particularly ridiculous considering that I DO NOT SPEAK JAPANESE.  Fortunately, Mao and his wife both speak Japanese and somehow managed to understand what I was talking about.  Or maybe they didn't...  Dios mio.

This is me and Baby Lisa.  When Reiko passed her to me, she and couple women started laughing.  I panicked for a moment thinking I was doing something wrong, but I couldn't imagine what.  No, no, not to worry, this was not some big cultural faux pas, they had simply gotten the giggles because of how small Lisa looked with me compared to Reiko.  Then I reached out to get something while holding Lisa (very securely, I might add, there are no dropped babies in this story) in one arm.  Oh. My.

But I can see their point.  Though the photo looks pretty normal to me, Lisa looks an awful lot more like a toddler in Reiko's arms.

Yep, I may not be an artist, but I guess I am pretty darn good at holding babies.

Ummmm, cool?

2 comments:

Maggie's Mom said...

Perhaps we should put the photo with you and the cute baby in the Christmas letter and send everyone into a tizzy. PS I'm not ready to be a grandma.

Maggie said...

Hahaha, oh my goodness, can you imagine the number of emails you would get?!

ps - no worries, that is definitely not on my Japan Bucket List