25 September 2007

Subtitulos and salsa classes






















Today was a good day. Not only did I tutor a lovely girl named Stephanie for the first time, but I also bought two tickets for Día 8 of the Pepsi Music Festival. Or as the ticket vendor said, el día de Marilyn Manson. Yes, that's right folks, I am going to see Marilyn Manson! I'm not really a huge fan of his music, but ever since reading an interview where he complains about bad grammar and the mindlessness of the American entertainment industry, I have been intrigued. So that combined with gorgeous weather, about 5 other Latin American bands, and decent ticket prices had me queuing for tickets today. Don't worry though, if I have any sudden urges to join a cult, you will all be the first to know.

Aside from dear Marilyn, I am cultivating another new hobby during my time down here... rugby. Not playing, watching. Last Saturday I spent the afternoon with 3 girl friends in a sports bar enjoying the 2 for 1 beer special and yelling at the big screens along with a couple of hundred Argentines. The yelling was mostly happy though as the Pumas soundly trounced Namibia 63-3. Though obviously we have allegiance to the Pumas, we decided that we would have wanted them to win anyway because they are just so attractive, and when they aren't playing, they all wear suits with pale pink ties. Fantastic.

Fun fact: whenever the Argentine announcer said Marseille it sounded like "Mar-sei-sha"

So, subtitles. The other day I went to go see a great film called Zarte Boek, or Black Book, or El Libro Negro. That should give you some idea of the language mess I was in for. The previews had given the impression that there was a significant amount of English in the film. Well hooray for false advertising. :-D It was almost entirely in a combination of Dutch and German with about 5 minute segments at the beginning and end of Hebrew and English respectively. So between hearing Dutch (which sounds remarkably like English some times), reading Spanish, and trying to make it all make sense in English... I left the movie with a headache. However, I also left the movie with an understanding of almost the entire film. Or at least I think did...

Speaking of things lost in translation, I really need to figure out how to convey disinterest and/or distaste en español. Apparently not smiling and looking away just don't cut it. Or at least they didn't at salsa class last week. Somehow, unbeknownst to me I seemed to have given this guy the impression that I wanted to dance with him. Which I most certainly did not, not only because he was utterly incapable of leading, but because of the fact that the chest bared by his half undone shirt bore more resemblance to Austin Powers than Fabio, complete with gold chain and all. Ewww. Luckily I had come with a guy friend who quickly rescued me before I was caught a third time. Thanks Chris!

Besides fending off bad dancing partners, watching rugby, and watching a Dutch film in Spanish, I have also been spending inordinate amounts of time at a place called Mark's Deli. Though I would say it is more of a bistro than a deli, diction is the only complaint I can make about the place. They serve HUGE salads and equally enormous cookies, which, amusingly enough they don't translate and as a result ends up sounding like "kooky". I have yet to ask for one with a straight face. Oh, and miracle of miracles, they also serve... okay wait for it..... ICED COFFEE! And in 10 oz. glasses no less. Amazing!

I may actually be spending even more time at Mark's in the future considering the fact that I am now making a bit of money instead of simply spending it all. Three days a week I will be tutoring a lovely 10th grade girl named Stephanie in Biology and whatever is a priority at the time. She is a huge fan of organization and Post-It notes but just doesn't have any idea how to get started... that's where I come in. I think we were meant for each other. Hey Mom, would you mind sending me a couple more post-it tab things? I gave her my last ones.

Spring has, at last, come to Buenos Aires. The trees are that lovely spring green and the flowers in the Japanese Garden are stunning. The wisteria is in bloom too. I just can't walk past wisteria without thinking of Rhett Butler. Maybe if I go to grad school in Charleston I will get it out of my system... probably not.

This church sits at one end of Plaza Güemes, a small plaza about a block from my host family's apartment. Once it gets a touch warmer I plan to spend a lot of time on the benches there. It's about 2 blocks away from a fabulous bakery and a coffee shop that does to-go cups. Picnic!

4 comments:

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

1 - your description of salsaman sounds eerily similar to every egyptian male between the ages of 16-35. it seems that they have somehow evolved (devolved?) into creatures incapable of buttoning their shirts up past their sternii(?) - something i am decidedly not okay with.

2 - although it is sadly on par with american prices, i have found a coffee shop i too am in love with. i had a latte there a few days ago and described how much i loved the almond latte experience at mercer's. they just did not get it.

3 - send your seasons here. anything besides summer, i'll take it.

4 - i posted before but i said clavicle instead of sternum and i just had to change it. i know you will understand.

Pecosa said...

Yay, you're taking salsa lessons!!!!

:P

I'm soooo sorry about hairy-man, dear. At least he didn't bite you, though.

Can't wait to read your next update - I can actually hear your voice in my head sometimes, which, eerie as that may sound to you, makes me incredibly happy/nostalgic/excited to see you in the Spring :). Besos!

Unknown said...

What did I tell you about South American rugby players? They're always good for making my day better. Or any South Americans, really. Or perhaps just one particular Brazilian . . . Sorry, I rarely think about much else these days . . .